Field Hockey

Syracuse, undefeated and unscored-upon, vaults to No. 3 in national poll

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

The Orange is the only team in the nation that has not allowed a goal. That means Syracuse has played 490 minutes of clean-slate hockey.

UPDATED: Sept. 12, 2017 at 3:34 p.m. EST

After beating two ranked teams on the road last weekend, Syracuse rose to No. 3 in Tuesday’s National Field Hockey Coaches Association poll. The Orange received three first-place votes.

SU (7-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) climbs two spots from No. 5 and is one of three undefeated teams remaining in the Top 25. The other two undefeated teams, Connecticut (5-0) and Penn State (5-0), are No. 1 and 2, respectively.

Six other ACC teams are represented in the rankings, with No. 4 Duke and No. 5 Virginia rounding out the Top 5. North Carolina (No. 7), Boston College (No. 10), Louisville (No.11) and Wake Forest (No. 16) are the other ACC squads.

UNC and Duke each fell three spots, including Duke from No. 1, after both teams suffered Friday losses. The Tar Heels to Wake Forest and the Blue Devils to Virginia. UVA and Wake Forest both jumped at least three spots higher in the rankings.

Over the weekend, Syracuse shellacked then-No. 8 BC, 6-0, and shutout then-No. 21 Albany, 2-0. The Orange is the only team in the country that has yet to allow a goal.

Next, Syracuse faces off with No.16 Wake Forest at J.S. Coyne Field on Saturday at 11 a.m.

The story has been updated for appropriate style.