Student Association

SA comptroller-elect followed unique path to reach executive position

Cassandra Roshu | Photo Editor

Alexis Leach has taken an unconventional route toward one of SU’s highest student offices: the comptroller of Syracuse University’s Student Association. She had never served as a member of SA before running for the position.

As a 22-year-old sophomore, Alexis Leach — the newly-elected comptroller of Syracuse University’s Student Association — has taken a unique path towards one of SU’s highest student offices. But she’s used to taking unconventional routes.

Unlike past SA executives, Leach, who was the association’s lone comptroller candidate during its spring 2024 general elections, had never served as a member of the association or its Finance Board before running for the position.

Leach graduated high school in June 2020, amid the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic, and chose to pursue work instead of college at the time. Leach moved out of her mother’s home in Plymouth, New Hampshire and served as a desk attendant at Speare Memorial Hospital.

“I know how to budget. I know how to make things work with what you have,” said Leach. “I feel like I am very well suited for this because of these experiences … I know how to get business done.”

In the following two years, Leach built complete financial independence and learned to be thoughtful and calculated in her expenditures — all factors that she believes will contribute to success as comptroller, the manager of SA’s finances, she said.

While Leach said her real-world experience and four semesters of studying business analytics and accounting have prepared her to assume the role of comptroller, she also acknowledged that she has a lot to learn, and after being named comptroller in April, quickly launched into her preparations for the fall.

“(Leach) has continuously communicated that she wants to take the time over the summer to work with engagement and learn as much as possible prior to getting into this role,” said Dylan France, SA’s outgoing comptroller. “She is very dedicated to taking the time to understand student organizations and understanding the connection between student engagement and (SA).”

With the semester coming to an end, Leach said she plans to spend the majority of the summer recess working with France, SA President-elect German Nolivos, Vice President-elect Reed Granger, Student Engagement Senior Director Kelly Mullin and Associate Director of Leadership and Organizations Anne Lombard to arrive on campus prepared for the fall.

Cole Ross | Digital Design Editor

Since her appointment, Leach said she has committed herself to internalizing SA’s fiscal codes — the rules and regulations for money allocations to registered student organizations. She also spends many days a week in SA’s offices asking questions and building connections with current and future assembly members, Granger said.

“I really admire her,” Nolivos said. “This job requires a lot and every time we have met with her in the past few weeks she has been excited about (it) and has brought new ideas … experience will not be a problem.”

As a new face in the association, Leach said she plans to bring perspectives from some of her other extracurriculars on campus, such as Las Naranjas, a Spanish language and culture club, and SU/SUNY ESF Food Recovery Network, a nonprofit working to combat food waste.

In SA’s spring elections, the association continued its ongoing struggles with voter turnout, as only 743 students cast their ballots. Nolivos and Granger emphasized that encouraging students without previous experience to get involved in SA may increase engagement with the association.

“I was not a member of the Student Association,” Leach said. “I do speak for the 95% of people who didn’t vote.”

As a newcomer in the highest student-held financial position on campus, Leach said she plans to bring outside ideas and goals into her approaching term. One of her major focuses is on increasing promotion for student organization-led events, she said, as well as bringing awareness and understanding of the role the Finance Board plays in these events.

While France and the current Finance Board rework SA’s fiscal codes, Leach said she believes the proposed amendments can and will come swiftly. With the revised codes, the finance board will be more accessible to RSOs and will no longer require the comptroller to serve as the only channel of communication for financial requests, France said.

France said many members of next year’s Finance Board will be returning to their current seats, offering familiarity, capability and another layer of support for the new comptroller.

In her pursuit of improving communications between SA, the Finance Board and outside RSOs, Leach said she wants to be an approachable figure for students interested in Finance Board activities.

With many months of preparation ahead of her, Granger said there may be “growing pains” as new SA members transition into their roles, but above all else, they are excited for their work to begin in the association’s 68th session.

“I want to talk, I want to be there for people,” Leach said.“My office is going to be open, I will be there.”